11th June 2009
Dr YS Rajasekhara Reddy
Chief Minister of AP
Government of Andhra Pradesh
Sub: Prevention of Corruption (Andhra Pradesh) Amendment Act, 2009
Dear Dr Rajasekhara Reddy garu,
Please recall the discussion in the Assembly on the motion of thanks to the Governor’s address. You were also recently quoted in the media expressing your strong commitment to combat corruption. If the government is serious about its intention to combat corruption, we need to amend the current legal framework to make it more effective on the following lines:
1. Facilitate seizure and forfeiture of property of corrupt public servants
2. Establish special anti-corruption courts in each district
3. Appoint independent prosecutors drawn from judiciary
4. Establish an independent anti-corruption agency functioning under the overall supervision of Lokayukta
5. Presumption of guilt on public servants in case of disproportionate assets and those who are caught red-handed while accepting bribe.
We also require to enact a new law to integrate the myriad disciplinary procedures against erring public servants. Right now there is a complicated maze with multiplicity of agencies dealing with such matters: Departmental enquiry, Tribunal for disciplinary proceedings, Public Servants’ Inquiry Act, Commissionerate of Enquiries, Vigilance Commission and Lokayukta. We also need to integrate Lokayukta with the Vigilance Commission.
For the time being, as I promised in the House, I am sending you a carefully prepared draft Bill “Prevention of Corruption (Andhra Pradesh) Amendment Act, 2009”
I request you to convene an all party meeting on this subject of fighting corruption. This Bill has been prepared taking into account the recommendations of the Law Commission, Administrative Reforms Commission and other expert bodies. I request you to introduce the Bill in the ensuing Budget Session. I trust that you will act speedily to enact this legislation for combating Corruption.
I am sharing this communication with the Speaker of the Assembly, Chairman of Legislative Council, Minister of Law, Minister for Legislative Affairs, Leader of the opposition and all floor leaders of both Houses of AP Legislature.
With warm personal regards,
Encl: Draft legislation “Prevention of Corruption (Andhra Pradesh) Amendment Act, 2009”
1. The Speaker, A.P Legislative Assembly
2. The Chairman, A.P Legislative Council
3. The Leader of Opposition, A.P. Legislative Assembly
4. The Minister of Law, Government of A.P.
5. The Minister for Legislative Affairs
6. The Floor Leader, PRP
7. Floor Leader, TRS
8. Floor Leader, MIM
9. Floor Leader, CPI
10. The Floor Leader, BJP
11. Floor Leader, CPM